Woodgate Sawmills was founded in 1950 by Philip Humphries, producing sawn hardwood
mining timber for the National Coal Board on a stand alone saw bench driven by a
Lister Diesel Engine.
In latter years his two sons, Brian and Ken joined the business straight from school
by which time the mill was producing Oak Fencing Material to the trade. It then moved
out of the hardwood milling into total softwood production during the late 70's to
Brian and Ken have two sons who have also joined the company making it a true family
business including the latest up to date sawmill machinery capable of milling large
section sizes up to 5.000 metres in length.